Hey Everybody!
I hope everybody had a great New Year's! People say Gute Rutsch! here. It literally translates to good slide. Which makes sense if you think about sliding into the new year. Another note to my college friends (two notes! aren't you guys lucky!) be safe traveling back to college, and good luck with the new semester! The Packers are now looking to their first post season game, which I will be able to actually watch with my family. This also means I am half way through my year (I know it goes that fast). I am also half way through my journal, which helps me remember all the things I have done week from week. My friend, Noah, (Noah you made the blog again!) commented that my blog posts have gotten shorter as my time here goes along. I have noticed that as well, but there are two ways to explain this. One, I am in the stage of my year where I have settled in and naturally don't feel the pressure to do as much sight seeing before. Two, my year has turned more internal than external. I have seen and realised so many new connections between cultures that now I may not notice as many. I believe exchange students change in many ways that they don't notice, or may not notice until we go back home. Naturally I cannot write about these experiences yet.
29. December 2014:
On Monday was my host cousin's birthday. I learned that they live in a 110 year old house with beautiful sculpted ceilings. I don't think I have ever been in a 110 year old house which wasn't a museum. That's crazy to think that people still live in a house which is half as old as The United States. It really made me realise how young our country is. Everything back then was about making houses LOOK expensive. Due to this only the front rooms, which people saw, had the beautiful cielings. I never thought I would be interesting in a ceiling. My family has also been watching the world cup dart final. I never thought darts could be so interesting. The people are even crazier than the Packer fans, and thats saying something. It's held in London at The Alexandra Palace. I thought it was fun to watch, but I wouldn't consider it a sport.
30. December 2014:
Tuesday was my host aunt's birthday. I held my little host cousin for part of the night. She is so small and doesn't pull my hair (thank goodness. That's always the first thing they go for.). I love to make faces at her. My host cousin also was able to french braid my hair. I was on a french braid trend when I left America. I actually left with a french braid, I remember that. I am not the best braider, I have been missing that more than I thought I would. Anyway, there is this tradition by many of my host family get togethers. Many people come mid afternoon for kuchen (cake but better) and coffee. Later on even more people come, and dinner is served. I really like this it gives people enough time to come and enjoy without feeling like they really missed anything.
31. December 2014:
On Wednesday my family prepared for our trip to Bavaria. At midnight everybody on our block started light off fireworks. Considering this is illegal in America, I thought that was super cool. Everywhere you looked fireworks were going off. My host mom and I went across the stree to our college student neighbors. I blew off fireworks and chatted with them until about 4am. And I was still up at 8:30 the next morning to head out to Bavaria. High School trained me well.
1. January 2015:
On Thursday we spent the day driving down to Bergen, where we would stay until January 6th. When we got to the beginning of the Alps the sun was setting behind them with a multitude of pinks, oranges, purples, and blues. It was an incredible way to begin my adventure with the mountains.
2. January 2015:
We went to the mountain Hochfelln on Friday. A storm was coming that afternoon so it was very windy. Sometimes the wind would come and we were afraid that Justus would be blown away. Even I felt like I was going to be knocked over sometimes. Inspite of that, it was incredible at the top. Hochfelln is noted to be on of the mountains at the begining of the Alp range. The view from the top had two parts. One which was completely flat, and the other which had mountains which became gradually larger. The farm where we stayed reminded me of my Nana's farm house. It smelled the same, had cows, the same cow equiptment, they even had the same handsoap. It was like a little piece of home.
3. January 2015:
On Saturday I ended up sleeping in super late, which is not normal for me. I think I am reaching the part of my trip where my juice has run out, and I am wiped out at the end of the day. Making me sleep extra long. We went to an ice age/dinosaur museum. Justus sped and shrieked at all the cool artifacts. In the evening my host dad and I went to Ruhpolding to check out the Biathelon track, which will be packed for the world cup this or next weekend. We got to see the German national team training at shooting.
4. January 2015:
On Sunday my family went to a märchen park. It was in a forest and it was snowing, which was so beautiful. The snow was on the trees and the little show houses were all wood. It was also snowing perfectly almost the whole time we were there. We listened to a couple of Märchens. The three little pigs is known as the seven little goats. They all get eaten by the wolf who pretends to be their mother. At the end of the afternoon we went on a hay/sleigh ride. We played I see something you don't see with two other people along with us. That evening we went to dinner with our hosts, The Steiners, to a very delicious restraunt. I had a Schweinefleisch (pig) with homemade Spätzle (german noodles). This was probably one of the best meals I have ever had (KK you have a new challenge!).
Thank you for reading!
Sandra
No comments:
Post a Comment