Thursday, March 5, 2015

Weekly Post #29

Hey everybody!

14. February 2015:

We got up early Saturday morning to find our new hotel. Using the maps from the first hotel we succsessfully got lost for about an hour and half, before actually finding our hotel. Luckily our hotel was right on the boarder of the inner city. We picked up new maps at our new hotel, at which point I became the official tour guide. I determined we were not allowed to leave the circle of the inner city, in fear of getting completely lost. Getting lost in the inner city of Brussels was actually amazing though. We were lost probably about 70% of the time. The circle was big enough to fill our weekend with tons of fun. We headed into the innercity. Brussls has a unique combination of old and new buildings which create an enchanted atmosphere. As we arrived at the main square where our free city tour would begin our jaws dropped to the floor. It was a huge square with small restraunts surrounding it. The buildings were grand with gold sculptures and accents all over. Our tour started and it was just as amazing as the Grand Plaza. We learned so many about the quirky, random, everyday, and historical facts about the city of Brussels. I would highly recommend Sandeman's Europe Tours to anybody. If you are in Brussels get Ohno the tourguide he was amazing. We learned about Tintin who was born in Brussels. He, apparently, was pretty evil to native people in a colony in the first comics. Luckily the author revised these first comics to make him a much more sympathetic character. Brussels is known for its comics and there are tons of them all around town. I believe they have even set up some sort of city scavenger hunt to find them all. When King Louis IV decided he wanted to take over the city of Brussels he destroyed much of its crown jewel, the Grand Plaza. After the seige he made the civilians rebuild it all in his style. We also saw the world famous Mannekin Pis also known as The Little Peeing Boy. Somehow, there are many different tales, the boy, who was the little prince at the time, saved the city of Brussels at one point by peeing on something or somebody. Hence the name. He has in the city museum over 900 outfits and a special stylist. I am pretty sure he has more clothes than barbie. Ohno also told us how they make their hot chocolate, because Brussels is also known for chocolate. They use hot milk as normal, but instead of a chocolate powder or mix, they use a chocolate stick. I be we could do that with german chocolate as well. It was super tastey. After the tour we wandered around for awhile. We found a covered street type thing where there is just chocolate for sale. I think it's the birth place of Brussels chocolate. The tunnel thing reminded me of the movie Hugo. There was also a narrow street leading off of the chocolate street which had just seafood restraunts, becuase Brussels is also known for seafood. The street is so cool, but the waitors sort of heckle you into coming into their restraunts. Its awkward because you kind of have to run away so you don't end up spending your life savings at every one. This is probably my favorite thing about Brussels. The hidden streets which seem to make Brussels real and charming.

15. February 2015:

Sunday was sadly our last day in Brussels. Luckily we took the late bus back to Germany. Oh ya we also had no cellphone service in Brussels because it wasnt Germany. We survived without google maps. We spent the majority of the day roaming around Brussels just taking in the beauty. For lunch we went to a waffles place, because Brussels is ALSO known for waffles. Brussels is known for too many things. They are also known for their french fries. People swear by their outstandingness, but really they were just french fries. I was actually decently disappointed by that. But the waffles were as yummy as they said they would be. They are normally served with ice cream, whipped cream, and a fruit sauce of your choice. (Dad you gotta get up to speed on those belgian waffles for sunday mornings!) By the time we left I can say our Brussels trip was over all a success, but I was happy to be home again.

16. February 2015:

Monday I stayed home and did absolutely nothing after my last several days of crazy travelling.

17. February 2015:

Tuesday was back to school. In my gym class I was able to lead the warm up. Normally I like being a leader, but I have been so out of practice that it was a bit nerve racking. For the warm up we played sharks and minnows. I had to explain it to them and they understood because we started playing without any questions. I think they thought it was a fun game that they never heard of before.

18. February 2015:

Wednesday my mom taught me how to make SpƤtzle. It's super easy to make, you just need to have the time to shred (sort of) into the pot of boiling water. Here is the recipie for anybody who wants it (Katerina I expect you to try it!):

500g flour
6 eggs
200 ml Milk
Salt

Mix everything together. It should be sticky. Leave it for about 10 minutes. It would be a good idea to boild a big pot of water at this time. Shred the mix over the pot of hot water so small pieces of dough fall. When they float at the top they are done and you need to fish them out and dry. Then they are finished.

19. February 2015:

Thursday after school I took a walk through our neighborhood. The sun was shining and it was finally warmer. They say it is supposed to be about 70 degrees for my birthday. I can't wait to finally not have to wish for no snow on my birthday! I am working on not thinking about what other people may be thinking about me and how to handle my embarassing moments. The first I think is becoming a little bit better, but embarassing moments still get me.

Thanks for reading!

Sandra


No comments:

Post a Comment