Saturday, June 13, 2015

The first of goodbyes

Hello dear family and friends,

With my amazing exchange year quickly coming to a close I am starting the goodbye process of my trip. The goodbye process is the most feared part of my trip. This is the part of tight hugs that reluctantly let go. This is the part of bittersweet feelings. This is the part where the tears flow. This is the part of meditation on who we were before, who we have become, and who we aspire to be. It's during this period of my year when I remember who truly inspired me to travel and explore Germany: my Grandma.

The end of my departure seminar in Berlin began the process of goodbyes. Many of my friends who I have become so close with over the past year will be flying back with me on the 3rd of July, but some of my very good friends won't. I didn't comprehend, until today, how difficult it is to see somebody walk away not knowing how long you it will be until you see them; if at all.

This is just the beginning of the goodbyes to people who live significantly closer than those to whom I have yet to say goodbye to, and my heart is already breaking. I cannot say I am not looking forward to coming home, but I cannot say I am looking forward to leaving.

Although it pains me to leave, all good things must come to an end. Life demands that I must start my next step in life, no matter how much I would like to press the repeat button on this one. Just because I am moving on doesn't mean I will forget anybody who made my year unforgettable. As I have said before: Near or far, I will always remember you, no matter where you are.

Thank you for reading.

Aleksandra

No comments:

Post a Comment