Friday, August 8, 2014

Weekly post #1

Hey everybody!

So I will be posting once a week on Friday's to inform everybody about what has been going on. Unless there is a special event/holiday please keep alert every Friday. If I miss a Friday feel free to fill my Facebook page with mad messages.

1 August 2014:

My group of Americans arrived in Dusseldorf around lunch. We were able to navigate our own way through the airport and get to the other side to meet our families. I rode with another family to Warendorf where I met my new family. I have a mom, a little sister, a kit, two birds, chickens, and bunnies. It was a tough adjustment, but after a week I believe I'm getting more used to everything.

3 August 2014:

Even on Sunday I was still very tired. My family and I ate breakfast with two of the family friends. We ate German pancakes and brötchen. Acre that we went swimming with them in a little lake. I really liked being back in the water. My family finished off Sunday with a grill out. Some neighbors and friends came over and we had käsewurst. One of the neighbors even brought his puppies over for everyone to play with.

4 August 2014:

Monday began our Orientation for language and culture (OLC) classes. There are eight students in the class and they are all super cool. Our group meshes perfectly together. Which makes learning super fun. I also went to my first Aldi Monday. It's exactly like an American Aldi but with German products.

5 August 2014

On Tuesday I discovered German shades. I think the German shades are the coolest thing. They are nothin like the American ones. They are metal and they are located outside the window. There is also a box next to the window inside which pulls the metal shade up and down. The shades also have little holes in them so you can have some light come in if you want.

6 August 2014:

On Wednesday I got lost going to and from school. (Maybe my sense of direction only works in America) in school we talked about school, homelessness, and comparative and supurlative cases. After school I went exploring in the innstadt (innercity) and discovered that most of the stores closed by 6:30.

7 August 2014

On Thursday we talked about conjunctions, communication, and grammar. After school there was a parents meeting and all the Americans decided to play fisbee. My sister ended up coming along and we ended up playing and listening to her go on in German. It's really quiet helpful to have her around because she talks quite a lot so I am able to learn more faster by listening to her.

8 August 2014:

Today we learning about the perfect tense, freetime, and grammar. After school I was pretty wiped out and everybody else was busy so I got lost on purpose in ky neighborhood to find my way around.

Zukunft (future):

This weekend I loom forward to camping with my family and their friends. In the coming week we will learn more about different aspects of everyday German life and grammar.

If you have any questions or feedback please leave it in the comments.

Thanks for reading!

Sandra

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blog. I enjoy reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun! Except maybe for the conjunctions and comparative & supurlative whatsits and well the grammer in general. Kidding. Plus the bunnies, puppies and kasewurst more than make up for it. Take a pic of those shades...perhaps they get transplanted in WI?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Sweetheart- Nice blog post- I love hearing about how you're resetting your sense of direction by "getting lost on purpose". In English we call that exploring:)
    glad to hear you've got plenty of critters in your life for cuddling. What kind of puppies were they? How Many? How old? Love you- Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know exactly what kind they were but they were little their hair was shirt and curly and they were cute.

      Delete
  4. Now that's what I call a full week! Can't wait for next week!
    Are you enjoying German home cooking? What are some obvious differences? Are you able to post some pics of your home/family?

    Uncle Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definately notice that the innercity is much more cultural. The food that they serve contains many more potatoes and bread. Overal the layout of their city is much different. They have manny more winding streets which make it much easier to get lost.

      I have not been taking many pictures because we have been told that Germans are more cautious to the internet. Additionally I do not have the time really to download photos.

      Delete
  5. Hi Aleksandra. How nice to get this. Very interesting being able to go through your week with you. How far is school from your home and how do.you get back and forth? Stores close at 6:30?! So how can you do any serious shopping? By now you've had your camping weekend, I imagine you were a huge help to your family. I hope your week is going well. I love you, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  6. My school is at the library which is about fifteen minutes away on foot. It is so nice that everything is so close so I am able to have much more freedom. The stores closing does make it difficult to go shopping but there is also time on the weekends for that.

    ReplyDelete